Falcons falter down the stretch as season ends vs Inglemoor

  • Written by Derek Johnson

In the span of a week, the Woodinville Falcons experienced the yin and yang of the universe.

After opening the KingCo tourney with a thrilling win over Issaquah and a tough loss to Skyline, the Falcons still had dreams of a trip to State. But against Inglemoor they were in disbelief. This coming after Viking forward Jaxon Peay hit a desperation 3 pointer to send the game into overtime. From that point, Woodinville couldn’t recovered and they lost to the Vikings 63-60.

DSC 8570Woodinville's Michael Roth drives toward the basket last Thursday night vs. Inglemoor. (Photo by Derek Johnson)“The gods and goddesses of basketball can be really kind, but sometimes they are not,” Woodinville coach Greg Turcott said. “Sometimes we just could not catch a break. Tonight, we outplayed that team the whole game, and they hung in there and played hard, but sometimes it isn’t fair. We played great, we built a lead, and then what can you say? The kid hits a 25-foot shot at the buzzer to send it into overtime. That’s the breaks, that’s sports. That’s what happens.”

Things were going well for Woodinville early in the game. Ethan Tarbet hit a three pointer in the second quarter to give the Falcons a 22-16 lead. Cage Schenck then made a beautiful hesitation move at the top of the key, before motoring into the lane to hit a floating jumper. This put Woodinville ahead 25-16. 

The Falcons maintained a lead of about 7-10 points throughout the game. That is, until 1:02 remained in the fourth quarter.

Two free throws from Inglemoor’s Ryan Hamilton cut Woodinville’s lead to 51-47. With seven seconds left, Jaxon Peay hit two free throws to make it a 53-51 game.

Woodinville’s Ethan Tarbet was fouled and he went to the line. After sinking the first free throw, he missed the second. Inglemoor quickly advanced the ball up court and that’s when Peay launched his miracle 25-footer. It was going to overtime, and the Falcon players huddled at their bench. 

DSC 8587Inglemoor’s Jalen Woodley scores a basket against Woodinville. (Photo by Derek Johnson) “The guys were stunned and disappointed,” Turcott said. “They thought we had it over. It took them about a minute [into the overtime] to bounce back.”

Viking guard Michael Hagen hit a three pointer to open up the overtime, and the momentum was all Inglemoor’s. The Vikings proceeded to win 63-60. 

Afterward, the Falcons remained in their locker room for 30 minutes. When they emerged, players and coaches both looked shell shocked.

“It’s very sad, we’ve all been working very hard at practice,” senior Landon Young said. “It’s so hard to see the season end.”

“This is my first year back in Washington,” senior T.J. Dick said. “I moved here from Austin, Texas. It’s tough to move your senior year. But I wouldn’t have wanted any different group of guys than these guys to play with. I have so much love for them and the coaching staff. I’m grateful to have had this opportunity this year.”

“I told the guys that this is my 13th season as a basketball coach, and I learned a lot this year,” coach Turcott said. “You never stop learning as a coach and as a person about how you can help your kids be successful and feel good about themselves and build a team culture. This is an outstanding group of kids, an outstanding group of young men. I feel really fortunate to have been their coach.
“More than anything, I’m just sad the season is over.”

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to Twitter