King County has issued a fire safety burn ban in unincorporated areas of the county effective July 29, 2013.This is a Phase 1 burn ban and applies to all outdoor burning except for small recreational fires in established fire pits at approved camp grounds or private property with the owner’s permission. Recreational fires must:
- Be built in a metal or concrete fire pit, such as those typically found in designated campgrounds; and not be used as debris disposal;
- Grow no larger than three feet in diameter;
- Be located in a clear spot free from any vegetation for at least 10 feet in a horizontal direction, including at least 25 feet away from any structure and allow 20-foot vertical clearance from overhanging branches; and
- Be attended at all times by an alert individual and equipment capable of extinguishing the fire.
- For properties located within cities, contact your local jurisdiction for requirements. This ban remains in effect until further notice.